Monday, July 5, 2010

A Proud Father watching his Kids Grow Up...


Finally the weather has stopped kicking the gardens ass!! I'm pretty sure it isn't going to snow and destroy it once again...
The Oil Field winds try to do a number on it daily...but they are all fighting back and winning.
So everything is starting to thrive...and I hope it keeps doing so for the next few months. I have multiple batches of Heirloom Tomatoes, various Herbs, Wala Wala Onions, Eggplants and Beans from a friends farm in BC. Long Beans from China. Bush Beans, Greens and Herbs from Italy. Okra and about a dozen other oddities from India. Tomatoes from across Canada. I even have some Watermelons growin.  Plus alot of stuff from around the area here...I am sure I have forgotten alot of things...but you will get to see it all as it starts to mature on the Roof. My Grand Father would be sooo proud...I wish he was still around to see it.
Tomorrow night I have a dinner for a few Exec's from each of the Sawridge Inn's around Alberta. Each team includes the Exec Chef from each property....so I figure this is an excellent time to start harvesting for the first time. So I will bring the cam to work tomorrow and shoot some pics of the results of the "First Harvest". From Seed to Plate is becoming a reality...and all in the middle of the worlds largest oil development. A little patch of new life.
I find the time spent building ... and rebuilding the garden to be well worth the effort. When life in the kitchen is getting too hectic...I just go for a lil walk up those stairs and open the trap door to Tranquility. Five minutes of watering and weeding does wonders to recharge the batteries. They are my babies and I am doing my best to nurture and help them thrive daily... 
Again I want to thank all the people that have sent me seeds....they are still arriving in the mail. I am still planting what I think will actually make it to maturity in time before the end of the Season.
I think the experiment is a success...even the ones that don't grow are not a failure..they just aren't meant to grow in an Oil Field.
It's been a busy summer...but I will keep everyone updated as often as possible...
Enjoy the sun...










1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Awesome! Sending some extra Florida sunshine your way.

    btw, loved that photo!

    ReplyDelete